Friday, July 15, 2005

cockburn_stealingfire


cockburn_stealingfire
Originally uploaded by radiancecreative.
In a recent trip down to the states. Debbie and Luke and I listened to a double CD of Bruce Cockburn's "waiting for a miracle". Spans about 20 years of Bruce's music. First side starts with "Going to the Country" and ends with "the trouble with normal". Great experience to have my wife and son enter more fully into the heart of Bruce.

My first exposure to Cockburn was in 1980 and it was the 1973 album Night Vision. shuttle ahead to Further Adentures Of / Dancing on the Dragon's Jaws / Humans / Inner City Front/ The Trouble with Normal / Stealing Fire /

I just had a memory about the specific time Stealing Fire came out. This album came out while I was living in Flin Flon Manitoba. I was at the "co-op" (a department store) with Big Al (a local "character") and troubled individual I had befriended. Al was a big, loud mouthed, slovenly (and incredibly smelly) yet I found loveable Flin Flon resident. We were leafing through records (yes it was still Vinyl in 81-82) probably seeing lots of absurd and evil "metal" and who know's what else. I, being the pastor's kid and the one who had been"in the lord" for so much longer began pointing out to my friend how wrong and evil some of the people were behind this wicked music and how displeased god was and how "they're going to pay". At least that must have been a phrase I was using cause what happened next I will never forget.

In our browsing Big Al came across the image you see in this post. A fired breathing demon of some sort. He held it up and pronounced judgement "Ya They're going to pay alright!". I responded, "no no that's a cockburn Record, he's OK". Of course Stealing Fire contained songs like "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" / "If I had a Rocket Launcher". Music that has resonated and moved my heart. Who cares if Bruce was into "liberation theology"(which I rejected back then, not even knowing what the hell it meant) I believe his music and poetry are both prophetic and profound.

It's just funny how at one time I was so quick to judge and remain locked into fear. Of course my walk with God was also marked by shame and self abasement. I regret actually giving away my cockburn albums a few years later cause I thought he was into moon worship or something, an influence of the charasmatic / fundy church circle I was a part of at the time.

anyways I know this post was part album review, part self realization, blah blah blogy-doo

paul

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight..."

8:49 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Isn't it amazing some of the things that are poo-pooed in the name of Christianity! What ever happened to freedom in Christ?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Paul Seburn said...

"WWBD"

10:45 PM  
Blogger Matt Thompson said...

Sometimes I think back to how stupid I was when I was young and wonder if those years actually existed.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO glad you have repented and returned to your first Love."bruuuuuuuce"

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, thanks for the blog. I believe that you meant to say that your Uncle Wes settled in Northern Alberta. Right ?

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home