Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Going Public in the Center

So I suppose I can go public now. We are planning to move to Winnipeg! I was just there on the weekend for my mom's 70th Birthday. Since there is no doubt a limited number of people reading this blog I'm going to go for it.

I let everyone in the family know on the weekend. Of course the details will take some time to sort out but we intend to be moved out there before Sept (school year) 2007. I'm going to use this space to unpack some of the things which have led up to our decision.

Down in Red Deer 3 weeks ago now (as I mention in my other blog) I ran into so many kindred spirits from Manitoba that served as confirmation to the desire to make such a move. It was Debbie who initialized the conversation which is pretty amazing I think (since she has never lived there). Well actually she did move there for a short period of time before we were married but we remained here after the wedding. That goes back to a time when Mark and Carol were are Trinity Baptist. So much has happened since then it would be foolish of me to attempt recap.

Kinda funny my last post over at radiance is entitled "Music Biz". Music is a big reason behind moving to Winnipeg. Next to the Family connection of course. After sooo many years out here in Edmonton we are no further ahead career wise in music, it's been a very difficult journey. We are grateful for the many experiences and the many people who have shaped out music but Winnipeg has such a different feel which I believe will suit our musical pursuits much more.


I know that Mark didn't really take interest in adding to this blog (which was initially a "gift" to him, It's OK Mark I forgive you) but I think it's interesting that I entitled it "From the Center". Winnipeg really is central and we look forward to not only centering geographically but centering artisically and spiritually as well. Some of you have shown concern over many of my changing ideas and perspectives which in truth have been just as much a surprise to me as anyone. Many aspects of my consciousness are coming full circle as I learn to make peace with myself.

Centering, however, does not just mean "going back to the way I was" or somehow ignoring the many relationships and experiences which have lead to this my present state and adopting "the conventional". After being in Winnipeg for the weekend I suppose this is one of my biggest concerns: that I would begin to define myself based on others perceptions and conceptions of me rather than be true to myself. While I don't wish to be arrogant but rather live in a state of loving kindness, i also have no desire to nod and say "yes" when inside I have entirely different views. It's like what my friend Ben says about the differend between "being nice" and real "loving kindness". There is a real danger in returning to a place where i once lived to fall into conformity or perhaps the strain of particular expectations placed on me from others.

I picked up a book today at Concordia College entitled "Vital Lies and Simple Truth" all about "Self Deception". I think it's by an author that Stu has quoted (wrote "Emotional Intelligence")

I will return

1 Comments:

Anonymous Stew Carson said...

Well my friend, when the Spirit speaks to the heart we must follow. It was no strange coincidence that God guided us past each other this afternoon at Taylor. Isn't that a famous guitar, to boot? Love you brother...

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home