Sunday, March 26, 2006

Alternative Community

Hey,

Haven't blogged for a while. I'm sure my thousands of readers are wondering what happened to me.

I got my hands back on "The Prophetic Imagination" by Brueggemann. I had lent it out to my "four square Buddhist" friend "Ben". I'd like to get in touch with Steve (n) Martin who i met once at Second Cup with whom I'd like to explore Brueggemann's work and what it means to us today. A few quotes that have resonated with me as I consider the prophetic imagination at work in me. Perhaps some of you can identify.

"The task of prophetic ministry is to nurture, nourish, and evoke a consciousness and perception alternative to the consciousness and perception of the dominant culture around us"

" We need to ask not whether it is realistic or practical or viable but whether it is IMAGINABLE. We need to ask if our consciousness and imagination have been so assaulted and co-opted by the royal consciousness that we have been robbed of the courage or power to think an alternative thought."

"...a prophet in Israel is that of poetry and lyric. The prophet engages in futuring fantasy. The prophet does not ask if the vision can be implemented, for questions of implementation are of no consequence until the vision can be imagined. The imagination must come before implementation."

"Our culture is competent to implement almost anything and to imagine almost nothing."

Can we imagine together? what happened to me back at Calvary Baptist was a few of us were engaged in prophetically imagining something alternative to the "royal consciousness". Well to put it mildly, it didn't go over very well. Despite the energizing effect of embracing pathos and the significant moving of the spirit, it just didn't take. The numbing effect of the dominant consciousness proved the safe way out for many.

"The royal consciousness leads people to numbness, especially to numbness about death. It is the task of prophetic ministry and imagination to bring people to engage their experience of suffering and death."

"clearly the regime is interested not in what people experience but in their behavior, which can be managed."

peace

Paul

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good stuff; i'll need to digest this for a while

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home